31 October 2007

Horsemen of the Apocalypse

At the risk of turning into one of those single women that does nothing but bitch about men and lament about the lack of a love life.

Today, I bit the bullet. A guy in my class on East Asia helped me out by asking questions when I was giving my lecture. He bought me a few minutes more than I would have had were I just doing my lecture. I spoke with RiotGrrlJock about it on Monday and she figured that I might as well give it a shot. So, before class today, I asked the guy in my class out to coffee. Well, kinda. The conversation actually went like this:

"Hey, thanks for bailing my ass out on Monday and buying me some time. I really appreciated that, and I owe you a coffee."
"No, you don't. It's what we do for each other."

Now, it didn't come across as clinical as it seems in print. It was friendly, but it was a rejection. I wanted to make sure that I didn't come across as "Hi, I fancy you!" I wanted it to come across as platonic with the option to see what happens. But, I still was rejected.

On the walk home, I was honked and waved at by a pair of guys that seemed cute, but they were driving by quickly, and I was on the phone with RiotGrrlJock so I didn't really take a good look. Plus, I'm not used to being honked at, so I wasn't really aware that it might be aimed at me until they started waving.

So, I was dealing with the disappointment of being rejected, even for a friendly cup of coffee and then I got honked at. While I don't condone honking, it's normally a nice little ego boost. Not today. Today was the crushing disappointment of realizing that the highlight of my week was being honked at.

I got home, started puttering around, made myself lunch, and the words of another classmate came back to me. "You know, marriage means no more roommates..." to which I responded, "it's not like shopping!"

Like there's a man-pound. Sure, lemme go drop by the pound to go pick out a husband. "Oh, that one's cute. He's got droopy ears and big puppy-dog eyes. Now, before I fill out the paperwork and pay the adoption fee, I have a few questions...
"What was the previous owner's reason for surrender? Does he know any tricks? Is he housebroken? Can I leave him at home for a few hours without him peeing all over the couch? If I'm seen with a guy friend will he chew up my shoes?"

I think I'm just getting to the point where I miss having someone that wants to spend time with me and that thinks I'm special, and that isn't just a friend.

SavageCats came through for me today, though. She told me that he was being dumb and that I would eventually have an abundance of manflesh to choose from and that I was in the famine stage of 'feast or famine.' I told her that I'm going to go with the delusion that I'm waiting for a Brit, preferably a Scotsman or a Welshman.

But I'm still bummed about the events of today. Ah well. Tomorrow is another day.

No comments: