11 March 2007

If it's March, it must be Midterms...

And out come the obligatory "I'm not doing well, can I still get a B/pass the course/wash your car until the end of time?" emails.

Great Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, kids... halfway through the semester (that would be why they're called midterms) is a little past the time to go, "Houston, we have a problem."

...Of course, the Slave just realized that it's 4 am where she is... Stupid "Spring Forward" time of the year. I don't want to grade midterms tomorrow. I'd rather sit at home, watch (and mock) the History Channel, and knit.

So, in a way, thank you to those students that decided to blow off the midterm. Thank you to the students that have all but dropped, except for doing the paperwork. It gives me just that much less to grade in the way of midterms.

I think that next semester, I'll be chucking the essay part of the midterm and just dropping it down to identification terms and multiple choice. I give them enough writing assignments over the semester. I should be nice to the poor students, shouldn't I?

...Hmm. Maybe. Maybe not.

No comments: