14 October 2006

Feminism is the radical notion that women are people, too.

I hate being called a feminist. I don't put women above men, I'd just like to be seen as a person.

And then I run into the students that deliberately place themselves as inferior because they display a need to identify themselves by who else is in their life, rather than who they are.

Me?

I am an instructor.
I am a historian.
I am a college graduate.
I am an avid reader.
I am a voter.
I am a sci-fi buff.
I am constantly learning.
I am me.

Female is a descriptor, much like brunette or blonde. Mother is a descriptor, same as daughter, aunt, or sister.

Don't describe yourself to me, bring me into your world. Tell me who you are. Are you a scientist? Are you a doer or a watcher? Can you be content to let things just be? Does life happen to you or do you happen to life?

Yes, I'll admit that when the hormones are a-ragin', I can look at a person and go down that road of what things would be like. I can let that neurotic chick-girl take over for periods of time, just as all us females can... But that is not the constant me.

Labeling me as feminist is the same thing as labeling me as a conservative. It creates the implication that I follow the party line, no questions.

I was raised with the notion that it is more important to think than to believe. Once you believe something, it interferes with the ability to look at things objectively.

[History Content Ahead]

Currently, my Western Civ I students are exploring the notion that Christianity co-opted many of its holidays from the pagan religions that it encountered in the process of conversion. That certain holidays we celebrate in the United States are based off of pagan tradition rather than Judeo-Christian beliefs.

For example:
Easter is supposed to be about the resurrection of Christ.
Then why are there chicks and bunnies and eggs involved?
It is believed (but not historically proven) that Easter stems from the pagan goddess of fertility, Eostre.
Christmas is supposed to be about the birth of Christ.
Then why do we put up trees in our house and burn the old Yule log?
It coincides delightfully with Winter Solstice, and the pagan holiday of Yule.
Halloween/All Saint's Eve?
Samhain, the Briton belief that this was the time when the veil between the living and the dead was closest.

...and on, and on, and on...

I remember when I was a student at a private Episcopalian school, we took a class on religion. Okay, on "the" religion. There was a lot of bible study and all that other stuff.

At one point, we were asked to write a point-of-view paper from the perspective of one of the people around Jesus at the time of his death. Basically, a POV paper on the Passion.

I was the only student that chose Judas. I held no sacred cows about who Judas was, or is still considered to be in the Christian religion. I was labeled a heretic in my class because I dared to write from the perspective of the killer of Christ. (Though, I suppose he could only be considered an accessory.) I reminded them that Jesus was considered a heretic, too.

...Humanity confuses me.

I do not understand why people are so opposed to living up to their potential as human beings.

I know this was a very disconnected post. There is just so much that I don't understand. I suppose it's time to go through the textbooks and start trying to understand how it's all pieced together at the very least.

No comments: