24 September 2006

Why? Why dear god of all that is shiny. Why?

This was from last semester.

Summer session. Lasts 8 weeks. Basically, summer session is that lovely time of the year where my paychecks double, and so does my use of Pepto Bismol.

Now, for my online courses, I don't care if you show up. I don't care if you ever log in. I'm not your momma. I don't care if you pass or if you fail.

And I sure as shit don't care about your woes.

Week 6, I get an email from a student. He writes me and explains that he needs to pass this class with at least a B in order to keep his scholarship to Big State U. Crisis McWhiner then decides that I'm the person that he should share his and his family's financial woes with. Mr. McWhiner won't be able to attend Big State U if he doesn't have this scholarship because his parents make too much money for him to take out loans. (Uh... Dumbass. You won't be able to take out non-private loans. Private lenders would LOVE to give you money... Learn how Financial Aid works.) And he's young enough that he's still considered a dependent.

Did I mention that Mr. McWhiner hadn't turned in 3 out of the 4 assignments that were due at that point? Hadn't completed 10 out of the 12 quizzes? Oh, and the kicker? Didn't even bother with his midterm. Oh yeah. We have a whiner on our hands.

I like to consider myself a compassionate person. However, when you tell me you need a certain grade and you haven't earned it, don't talk to me. I hate. Loathe. Despise with the passion of a thousand burning suns. Those students.

Say it with me.

I don't give grades, you earn them.

I have been in so many classes where I have busted serious ass for a "B" and others where I could have walked in, slept, and still gotten an "A". This is the nature of the game.

I've never taken so much joy in entering an "F" for a final grade.

Sideways bitch: I hate it when grapes are labeled as seedless and they're not.

2 comments:

Fraulein N said...

Hee, Crisis McWhiner. Mind if I borrow that?

(Found you over at Teacher Lady's blog.)

Adjunct Slave said...

Borrow away!