25 September 2006

A question...

In the event that any other higher-ed people (no offense to my friends teaching in the high, middle, and elementary schools) read this...

I have a question.

Do you ever long to start a class by saying the following to your students?

Look, I'd rather be sitting at home in my PJs, watching trashy TV and swilling beer. But I'm not. I'm here because I have a contract, because I actually *gasp* enjoy teaching, and because I am interested in you having a higher level of understanding. I prepare for this class. When you come into class unprepared, it makes me want to give a quiz. Assign hellish homework. Do anything that might drag your asses into something that resembles a gear that isn't marked 'reverse'. But, hey. If you don't want to be here, let me know. Because I have a pair of PJs, trashy shows on TIVO, and a six pack waiting for me.

...Or is it just me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I wish someone had said that in some of my classes. Firstly, because it made me laugh. Secondly, it might make people fucking pay attention. Thirdly, I don't have a thirdly, I just wanted to say I love your teaching style thus far. =)

Adjunct Slave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.