25 August 2006

The hiatus continues...

Classes start on Monday. Is your intrepid adjunct ready?

Kinda.

The history courses are going well enough, and I'm trying to get the powerpoints for the first week's chapter all sorted out for those... The computer course I'm teaching... Well, let's just say that I suspect that the department that's in is run by monkeys. I just got an email saying "oh, there's more stuff that I wanted to go over with you at the insanely long meeting, because your classroom is special and you need to know all these things and I'm an ass because I'm dropping this on you three days before classes start. Glad to have you on board!"

Thanks. It took me a week to do development for the lecture. Now you've just set up my e-course supplement (which I haven't looked at yet - I'm afraid) today. Really. Thanks for being so helpful. No, I have no other courses I'm teaching. Of course your department is my top priority. No, I'm not taking any courses this semester, at least not any that are drastically important. I mean, c'mon, I'm here for you. Only you. Those four credit hours I'm teaching that, while outside my field, I am most likely overqualified to teach, are definitely going to cover my rent, food, and other expenses.

Fuckity fuck fuck.

I just want to say, "look, failure of proper preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." But it's not true. It's like when I was working as a tech geek for the boatload of engineers. A screw-up on their part usually meant that I didn't see my bed until two in the morning. This is the same thing. I come in, hope against hope to be kept in the loop, knowing that I am the adjunct in that department that has any sort of clue, and then realize that I'm constantly on the verge of being screwed.

Now, I knew that the weekend before courses starting weren't going to be all quiet and mellow... But I didn't expect to have to rework the theory of relativity, either. As for now, this little peon is tired.

It's time for me to drag my little adjunct ass to bed and realize that it all starts again in the morning.

TGIF?

...Hardly.

No comments: